"Where are we?" I asked.
"Almost there now," Teddy answered. "So the next few months were spent in South Carolina?"
"Yes," I ran my hand roughly through my hair as I thought about that year. "Bella and I wrote to one another constantly, but now the letters were different. We were more than just girlfriend and boyfriend; we were planning a future together."
"I saved every extra cent and found the perfect ring in a little jewelry store in town. It wasn't very large by any means, but I knew she would like it. I began to carry it around in my pocket, when I wasn't on duty, just to feel it close."
"I had volunteered for the parachute infantry, so after basic training I was given leave before the more intense training would begin in Georgia. I wired Bella, and she was ecstatic that I'd be home, even if it was only for a few days. She planned to meet me in Peoria, so that I could spend the time with her, Mama and Claire."
"My plan was to propose."
"Instead of Bella arriving however, we received a telegram in her stead." I sighed. "Her Mother had been rushed to the hospital with appendicitis. Luckily they'd caught it in time. Understandably Bella didn't want to leave her."
"I was bitterly disappointed and tried to find a way to Baltimore that would still allow me to arrive in Georgia on time. I was unsuccessful. Thankfully, I was able to speak with Bella on the telephone and learned that her mother was improving. The night before I was due to leave, I sat in the parlor, long after everyone had gone to bed, drinking and feeling sorry for myself."
****Flashback *** Edward/20years ***
I downed the whiskey, hoping the burn would numb my aching heart.
"I'm sorry about what happened with your girlfriend Edward," I was startled by Laura's voice from the doorway.
"Thanks," I muttered.
"I wish I could find someone who cared about me like that."
I stared at my glass, offering no response. The feel of Laura's hand on my arm startled me, and I pulled away.
"Sorry," she whispered. I immediately felt like a jackass. I shouldn't have been taking my bad mood out on her.
"No, I just…"
"It's okay, I'll leave you alone." Laura said before turning to leave.
"No, I'm sorry; you can stay if you want."
"You're sure?"
I nodded.
Laura sat down and chatted quietly for the better part of another hour, attempting to take my mind from my troubles. When I could no longer keep my eyes open, I excused myself and went to bed. It was the first time since I'd known her that Laura hadn't gotten on my nerves.
***H*of*A***
Bella and I continued to correspond every few days. Unfortunately, Laura began corresponding to me as well. I opened one letter out of curiosity, and never opened another. She had deluded herself into thinking I actually had feelings for her. I hoped by ignoring her that she'd get the message and leave me alone.
When the letter I wrote to Bella in August went unanswered for two weeks, I wrote her again.
Dearest Bella,
Please write back soon. I can only assume that my last letter never reached you, for I have yet to receive a response.
I miss you, and cannot wait to see you again.
All my love,
Edward
Another two weeks passed before I received a letter in her familiar hand. I opened it eagerly.
Dear Edward,
I think it best that this letter be the last piece of correspondence between us.
I cannot lie and say that I don't feel hurt and betrayed by what has happened, any more than I can lie and say that I don't love you. The fact is that I love you so much that I find it easy to forgive you.
While I'll never understand the needs of a man, and how those needs can betray the wishes of the heart, I can and do forgive you for it.
You have responsibilities now that must not include me. I know you well enough to believe that you would still want to choose me over those responsibilities. I'm sorry Edward, but I could not live with myself were that to happen.
I wish you nothing but happiness. Maybe someday, I will be able to wish the same for myself.
Love,
Bella
I stared unbelieving at the words. None of what she'd written made sense. How had I hurt and betrayed her? I felt the panic build in my chest as I thought of what this meant.
She was walking away from me. From us. But why?
I wrote letter after letter begging to learn the reasons for her behavior and for a chance to defend myself. I received no reply, instead, the letters were eventually returned to me, unopened.
I wrote my family, begging them to find out what had happened. Time passed with still no word from Bella until the day arrived for me to ship out. My family came to the dock in New York to see me off. I realized then that I'd been holding out hope that Bella would be with them.
She wasn't.
However, I was shocked to find that Laura was.
I spoke quietly with Mama and Claire before boarding the ship. Laura stood away from them, patiently waiting her turn. "Mama," I whispered, "why is Laura here?"
"I have no idea Edward, but she insisted on following us. I couldn't very well refuse since she paid her own way."
We went on to speak about the subject preying on my mind.
Bella
Mama told me that Mrs. Swan was just as perplexed as we were by Bella's behavior. All she knew was that Bella had been in tears for weeks before writing that letter. Afterwards, she was a shadow of her former self with never a smile gracing those beautiful lips.
My throat tightened to think of her sad.
"My dear, have faith, Bella loves you. Maybe she was feeling anxious, knowing that you were leaving for the war. Fear can do strange things to a person. I think you should continue to write her."
I prayed Mama was right.
Laura approached and I watched as Mama rolled her eyes. "Laura, what are you doing here?" I asked, trying and failing to keep the irritation from my tone.
"Edward, I couldn't let you leave without saying goodbye," she smiled and moved uncomfortably close. "You know, your pain would go away if you would give the feelings you have for me a chance."
I looked at her incredulously. "Laura honestly, I feel nothing for you. I'm at a loss as to understand why you would travel all this way for someone whose heart belongs to another."
I needed to be brutally honest; being polite had gotten me nowhere.
"She's moved on Edward. It's time for you to think about your own happiness. Forget her," she purred near my ear before throwing her arms around my neck.
I pulled back causing her arms to drop to her sides, while she smirked at my discomfort.
Laura was what most fellows would call a 'looker'. Some would even go as far as to say she was beautiful.
However for me, there would never be anyone but Bella. For the rest of my life, I would never want anyone else. When I died, I would leave this earth still in love with Bella Swan.
"You don't know what you're talking about Laura. I could never forget her. Bella owns my heart and soul. That will never change."
Laura grew angry then. "You need to wake up Edward. I went to a lot of trouble to make sure we could be together, but I won't wait forever. What is wrong with you? You should hate her for what she did!" She yelled before Mama intervened.
"Laura, I must ask you to stop shouting at my son. He has never shown any interest in you." Mama hissed, "Stop making a fool of yourself."
Laura turned to leave, but couldn't resist a parting shot. "Just remember who cared enough to show up here today Edward," She snapped before disappearing into the crowd.
***** end flashback ****
"Ah," Teddy sighed, "this is a nice view, don't you think?"
We were standing on top of a cliff looking out over a peaceful sea.
I watched as Teddy took a seat on the grass. "It was a long time until you saw Bella again, but you did see her, am I right?"
I sat down and nodded. "It was months later, and an ocean away. The weeks on that transport were the most difficult of my life; worse than when my family lost everything; worse than when Papa killed himself. I had weeks with nothing to distract me from the pain of my broken heart."


No comments:
Post a Comment